Location: Make Shift Head Office in Brixton
Salary: £40,000 to £45,000 per year depending on experience
Working Days and Expected Working Hours: Roughly 8 hours of working time per day Monday through Friday. We require all employees to work between the hours of 10am and 5pm and we give employees the flexibility to start between 8 and 10 am and finish between 5 and 7 pm.
Holiday: 25 days plus UK bank holidays.
Make Shift designs, builds and manages new public destinations where communities, local entrepreneurs and independent, social business come together to work, learn, grow and collaborate. We make these spaces as affordable as possible, and we actively connect our members with each other and the community around them. So far, we have successfully turned two underused spaces into new destinations for local communities that now house independent and social businesses - Pop Brixton and Peckham Levels – but we’re just getting started. Our ambition is to take our proven business model, scale it and turn more underused spaces into community destinations across the UK and beyond.
We believe in self-management and we want to ensure that our flat structure stays flat. People have the power to make their own decisions and we all encourage and empower each other to be the best we can be.
about the role:
We are looking for a highly motivated, energetic and knowledgeable candidate who can help us deliver our vision. The position lies within Make Shift’s Development team, leading the community research and engagement functions, alongside the design of wider strategies that ensure we can maximise the impact and benefits brought to the areas we work in.
The role can be categorised into two key areas of delivery and responsibility:
1. Research & Impact Studies
● Developing new insights and strategies to widen Make Shift’s reach and relevance.
● Collecting and analysing quantitative and qualitative data to identify the needs of the local community, and the project’s potential socio-economic impact.
● Auditing community needs, and provide evidence-based recommendations for design, tenant curation and operation of Make Shift’s future projects.
2. Engagement & Curation
● Developing creative new ways to engage, motivate and support local communities, and coordinating engagement events.
● Continuously seeking and developing relations with key stakeholders and potential members, building the local awareness of Make Shift.
● Helping to shape the narrative of each site in adherence to both the local and commercial responsibilities of the project.
We are seeking someone to help shape Make Shift’s community function, with a natural interest and enthusiasm for promoting collaborative working practices. The role will require a roll-your-sleeves up attitude, and is likely to evolve over time.
Experience / Skills
● Strategic thinking and understanding of how to achieve long-term objectives.
● Demonstrable experience of working with local people to support them in playing an active role in shaping their communities.
● Experience in planning and delivering activities, events & workshops that are inclusive, engaging and design-led.
● Ability and confidence to communicate effectively with both community groups and professionals.
● Experience in design development and production of research.
● Experience of working in a collaborative research environment with multiple stakeholders, and/or with interdisciplinary teams.
● An understanding of good research practice, including research ethics and handling research data.
● Have a good understanding of the for profit and enterprise sector.
Success in this Role Looks Like
● You have gained a thorough knowledge of the needs and demands of communities in areas in which Make Shift would make the most social impact.
● You have harnessed the support of the local community.
● You have helped make our projects a success by understanding local needs and responding to this through the project’s overall narrative and curation of it’s members.
● You have become an integral part of leading Make Shift’s purpose and vision.
The interview process for this role will include the following stages:
● Stage 1: Phone Interview (30 minutes)
● Stage 2: In-Person Interview (60 minutes)
● Stage 3: Final Round Task and Presentation (60 to 90 minutes)
*Note to candidates: You may be required to complete a task(s) during the interview process.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
HOW TO APPLY:
You can submit your application by clicking on the ‘Apply Now’ link below. You will be required to answer the following questions which can be found at the end of the application form:
What excites you about Make Shift?
What special skill or ability are you most proud of and why?
What makes a really engaging and inclusive community event?
The application deadline is October 15th.