pop brixton junior graphic designer
Location: Pop Brixton
Salary: £21,216 P/A pro rata (London Living Wage)
Working Days and Expected Working Hours: Part Time – 2-3 days per week 9am – 6pm
Pop Brixton aims to support local talent and enterprise, and also to create a real community asset for Brixton. We bring our members together with local people, businesses, groups and schools to share the benefits of the space. All our members are independent businesses, mostly drawn from the local area, and all of them participate in a structured scheme of community projects. Our scheme includes a series of initiatives offering free event space, training, education and employment opportunities for Brixton’s residents. 10% of all the project's profits will be used to create a Community Fund that invests in local businesses and social projects.
We are a small team with a start-up mentality, where everyone goes beyond the call of duty to achieve our ambitious goals. We are looking for talented, flexible people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and are driven by the opportunity to inspire positive social change. If you think you are the right person to help us, we’d love to hear from you.
about the role:
As Pop Brixton develops and progresses we are looking for a highly motivated junior graphic designer to join our small team and assist with the design work across all our projects at Pop Brixton. This will be an extremely varied role that offers the opportunity to work across a broad range of disciplines within design, on a range of projects. We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter who is excited by the prospect of working on a variety of projects in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment. The role will require the candidate to understand the systems and procedures we use very quickly and apply their creative knowledge appropriately to the tasks set.
The role will predominantly assist the Pop Brixton marketing & events manager with the support of the Make Shift design team, but as the organisation and role grows the candidate will have the opportunity to work independently and find creative solutions to improve the design function within Pop Brixton. The candidate should be willing to roll their sleeves up for a very exciting opportunity on the front line of start-up design.
This role is ideal for a young, proactive design candidate looking to grow and contribute to the company’s overall vision and growth strategy.
● Assisting the Pop Brixton project teams & Make Shift design team on a broad range of design tasks from external advertising & social media artwork to creating exciting menus, brochures and presentations.
● Working closely with Pop Brixton community and events team to create fresh designs for the busy internal events schedule.
● Working closely with the Pop Brixton marketing team creating day to day artwork for social and digital media
● Updating the Pop Brixton website via the CMS system – training to be provided
● Design of all printed materials including our promotional flyers and posters
● Regularly updating images on the company website, ensuring all images are sized correctly
● Assist on basic/general re-touching of photography – ability to do possible image build outs would be an advantage
● Managing multiple tasks at one time
● BA in graphic design or a similar subject
● Competency using Adobe Master suite, predominantly Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator. Other adobe software skills preferable but not required
● Experience of working in a commercial/professional creative environment.
● Excellent communication skills. You will need to be able to explain design areas to audiences with no creative background
● Ability to work quickly and manage multiple tasks at one time
● Ability to work in a team and muck in when needed
● Entrepreneurial self-starter with aspirations for a long-term career in the creative industry
● Interested in being part of social change and working with a socially responsible company
● A strong portfolio that demonstrates a range of knowledge graphic and digital design techniques.
● Proactive and able to take initiative.
● Knowledge of the brand and a high understanding and appreciation of its aesthetics
● Interest in visual and spatial design
The interview process for this role will include the following stages:
Stage 1: In-Person Interview (60 minutes)
Stage 2: Final Round Presentation (90 minutes).
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.