Head of Architecture and Design
Make Shift is a platform for local people to access the space, network and money they need to create thriving enterprises.
We are a team of socially minded creators, makers, entrepreneurs and doers who champion collaboration, drive progress and see it as our duty to bring prosperity to communities through enterprise.
We believe in the power of local enterprise to radically improve communities by providing meaningful jobs, retaining local services and keeping wealth in the local community.
Through spaces like Pop Brixton and Peckham Levels, and exciting new spaces in development across the UK, Make Shift is creating opportunities for local enterprises to accelerate their journeys and benefit their communities.
We’re open, we listen and respect each other. We value diversity, inclusion and individualism. We work together, we build relationships and advocate for others.
We learn, grow and strive to better ourselves. We test, iterate and constantly improve. We deliver, get the job done and have a positive impact on our local environment.
Act with DUTY
We show up, work hard and are reliable. We take responsibility, we don’t walk by or pass the buck. We think like owners, take pride in what we do and care about our work.
About the Role
We are looking for a creative, strategic and experienced Head of Architect and Design to join Make Shift’s Development Team. Key tasks that the role will include are:
- Developing the Architecture & Design Strategy for future projects.
- Leading on concept design, massing studies, contextual research and pre-feasibility packages.
- Sourcing architectural design teams for projects and formalising appointments.
- Attending and leading design team meetings.
- Reviewing & auditing the design team’s drawing information and signing off on employee requirements.
- Interfacing with local planning authorities on projects.
- Monitoring and maintaining design intent post project launch.
- Building relationships and partnerships in the architecture and design industries.
You should be a self-starter who is ready to roll up your sleeves and take an entrepreneurial approach to leading the department. You are motivated by the opportunity to work in a small, fast-growing company.
You should have experience as a senior architectural professional, with a proven track record of delivering large commercial building schemes for purpose driven organisations. You are a great manager and people person, with experience of managing teams and getting the best out of colleagues and partners.
· Demonstrated ability to lead and inspire a team
· Extensive experience of developing and delivering large commercial developments
· Excellent written, oral and visual presentation skills
· Proficiency in Adobe Indesign, Illustrator and Photoshop and CAD software
· Solid understanding of design, development and planning principles
· Must be able to work independently, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
Success in this Role Looks Like
· New developments delivered on time and within budget
· Supported new site acquisitions with creative pitch documents
· Ensured projects are designed with the company’s operational needs in mind and are able to retain creative integrity through-out their lifecycles
· Established strong partnerships within the architectural, planning, technical, and construction industries
Location: Make Shift HQ in Brixton
Salary: £35-45k plus bonus depending on experience
Working Days and Expected Working Hours: Monday through Friday approximately 40hrs per week
Holiday: 30 days plus 8 days of Bank Holidays
The interview process for this role will include the following stages:
● Stage 1: CV screening
● Stage 2: In person interview including a presentation. The final round interview will also include a cultural fit interview.
*Note to candidates: You will be required to complete a task(s) during the interview process.
Please send a cover letterof no more than 1 side of A4 andyour CV to email@example.com the subject line: Head of Architecture and Design.
Deadline for applications: Sunday 27th October 2019.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.