Pop Brixton Assistant General Manager
Job title: Assistant General Manager
Reporting to: General Manager
Working hours: 40 hours minimum/week
Working days: a mixture of days and nights, midweek and on the weekends
Salary: £28,000 to £32,000, depending on experience
Holiday: 30 days holiday plus bank holidays
Location: Pop Brixton with some travel to MS HQ in Brixton
Term: Permanent with 3 month probation
Pop Brixton aims to support local talent and enterprise, and to create a real community asset for Brixton. We bring our members together with local people, businesses, groups and schools to share the benefits of the space.
All our members are independent businesses, mostly drawn from the local area, and all of them participate in a structured scheme of community projects. Our scheme includes a series of initiatives offering free event space, training, education and employment opportunities for Peckham’s residents. A percentage of all the project's profits will be used to create a Community Fund that invests in local businesses and social projects.
We are a small team with a start-up mentality, where everyone goes beyond the call of duty to achieve our ambitious goals. We are looking for talented, flexible people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and are driven by the opportunity to inspire positive social change. If you think you are the right person to help us, we’d love to hear from you.
About the job:
As Assistant General Manager at Pop Brixton you’ll support the General Manager on the dayto-day operations and facility management across an exciting but challenging multiuse site. You will be able to step up and lead the site in the General Managers absence, liaising with the local council, police, fire and environmental health when needed, while making sure all procedures, policies and conditions are followed. You will need excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to lead a team of internal staff and external contractors. Financially aware, you will be responsible for overseeing the implementation of the sites operating budget ensuring financial targets are met and savings are found where possible. You will have a keen eye for detail and will continually look to improve the site’s operations to ensure a welcoming environment for both community member and visitors.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
• Overseeing the smooth day-to-day running of the site
• Implementing key procedures and policies to help efficiencies
• Managing the site team and co-ordinating external contractors
• Sourcing best value, implementing savings and managing the site budget
• Liaising with local police, fire and environmental health organisations
• Ensuring planning and licensing conditions and health & safety procedures are met
• Acting as an ambassador for Pop Brixton and Make Shift
Skills & experience:
• 2+ years management experience in a hotel, bar, restaurant or facilities
• Academic qualifications of A levels (or equivalent) or higher
• Administrative skills including knowledge of Word, Excel and Google Drive
• Financially aware with the skills to manage large budgets
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Honest, reliable and hard-working
• Personal license holder
• SIA badge holder
• First aid trained
• Fire marshal trained
• Food hygiene trained
• Trained in basic maintenance
• Trained in relevant Health and Safety courses
Please send a cover letter of no more than 400 words and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may be required to complete task’s during the interview process.
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Deadline for applications: Monday 20th May