Pop Brixton General Manager
Reporting to: Head of Operations
Salary: Salary: £36,000 - £40,000, depending on experience
Holiday: 30 days holiday plus bank holidays
Working hours: 40 hours minimum/week
Working days: a mixture of days and nights, midweek and on the weekends
Pop Brixton aims to support local talent and enterprise, and to create a real community asset for Brixton. We bring our members together with local people, businesses, groups and schools to share the benefits of the space.
All our members are independent businesses, mostly drawn from the local area, and all of them participate in a structured scheme of community projects. Our scheme includes a series of initiatives offering free event space, training, education and employment opportunities for Peckham’s residents. A percentage of all the project's profits will be used to create a Community Fund that invests in local businesses and social projects.
We are a small team with a start-up mentality, where everyone goes beyond the call of duty to achieve our ambitious goals. We are looking for talented, flexible people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty and are driven by the opportunity to inspire positive social change. If you think you are the right person to help us, we’d love to hear from you.
About the job:
As General Manager at Pop Brixton you take the lead on the day-to-day operations and facility management across an exciting but challenging multiuse site. Reporting directly to the Head of Operations, this senior role requires an experienced candidate, ideally from a hotel, bar, restaurant or facilities background.
You will be responsible for creating and implementing key procedures across all aspects of operations on the site, ensuring health & safety, risk assessments and fire safety procedures are implemented and maintained by performing regular audits and inspections.
You will need excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to lead a team of internal staff and external contractors including Duty Managers, security guards, cleaners, maintenance persons to casual electricians, carpenters and plumbers.
Financially astute, you will be responsible for management of the sites operating budget ensuring financial targets are met. In addition, you will provide regular management updates to both the head company and the tenant community, assessing effectiveness of past activity and suggesting improvements.
Ideally, you will be a personal license holder, with the ability to ensure licensing goals and objectives are adhered to across the site. You will also liaise with the local council, police, fire and environmental health organisations to ensure the site meets the expected standards.
You will have a keen eye for detail and will continually look to improve the site’s operations to ensure a welcoming environment for both community member and visitors.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
· Overseeing effective day-to-day management of the site
· Implementing key procedures and policies on site and ensuring they are followed.
· Managing the on-site team and co-ordinating outsource contractors
Sourcing best value and implementing cost savings
· Liaising with local police, fire and environmental health organisations
· Management of the operating budget
· Ensuring health & safety, risk assessments and fire safety procedures are implemented and maintained.
· Enforcing licencing objectives across multiple traders on site.
Writing and presenting reports for the management team
Creating a positive image and environment and enhancing all working relationships
· Acting as an ambassador for Pop Brixton and Make Shift
Skills & experience:
· 3+ years senior management experience in a hotel, bar, restaurant or facilities
· Academic qualifications of A levels (or equivalent) or higher
· Administrative skills including knowledge of Word, Excel and Google Drive
· Experience in creating and implementing operating procedures
· Experience managing Health & Safety and risk assessments for a large site
· Experience liaising with maintenance and building contractors
· Experience managing a team of internal and external contractors, monitoring rotas, facility orders and performance management
· Financially astute with proven ability to manage large budgets
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Honest, reliable and hard-working
· Personal license holder
· SIA badge holder
· First aid trained
· Fire marshal trained
· Food hygiene trained
· Trained in basic maintenance
· Trained in relevant H&S courses
Please send a cover letter of no more than 500 words and your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: POP BRIXTON GENERAL MANAGER
We are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.